Today I am sharing with you a very nice story:THE SMARTEST GIANT IN TOWN!
I adore this story, and the most important thing; my students really love it! In my opinion the main character is so lovely and the story is full of nice moments.
Of course there are many ways to present the story and many was to use it in the class, but I am going to show you some of my ideas.
- BEFORE THE STORY
Before explaining the story, I like to introduce the topic by using a washing machine box and building a washing line. You can see it here in the picture:
I like to ask them questions such as:
- Do you have a washing machine at home?
- What is this machine for?
- Do you help your parents to wash and dry your clothes?
After that I present them the cover of the story and I ask them questions again:
- Look at the title of the story. What is the story about?
- What can you see in the cover?
- What do you think is going to happen in the story?
- Do you like giants? Do you know more stories about giants?
2. DURING THE STORY
While I am explaining the story , I like to do many gestures and obiously exaggerate everything! I enjoy doing different vocies for every character and make them participate actively…
This story, like many of Julian Donaldson stories, have many repetitions and it really helps students to understand and remeber some vocabulary. These are my recommendations:
- Exaggerate !
- Make them participate using TPR (Total Physical Response)
- Sing the song!
- Make them repeat some words!
- Make them think about the end of the story.
3. AFTER THE STORY
After the story there are many activities to do.
- Here you can find a presentation with questions and activities to work with your students.
That’s all for today! Enjoy your week!